Friday, July 03, 2009

Do You Need Toe Straighteners for Your Bunion or Hammertoe?


Just purchased two toe straighteners, one single toe holder and one double-toe holder from MyFootShop.com to help keep my 2nd toe on my right foot from totally obliterating my 3rd toe.

It's been three years this month since my bunion/hammertoe surgery on my right foot. I've noticed in the past few weeks that my toes are almost back to the same position, minus the bunion ball as they were before surgery.

Something has shifted recently because not only do I have a callous on the bottom of the third toe from the pressure of the 2nd toe pushing down on it, but I have a new blister that formed on the side of the third toe. Hopefully these new toe separators will help with that problem until I'm able to have more surgery to correct this problem.

Moral of the story: Choose your bunion physician carefully and make sure your toes are splinted to keep them straight following surgery. Mine weren't and when I asked about it my surgeon said it wasn't necessary. My 2nd and 3rd opinion docs following surgery said it would have helped. Easy to say in hindsight but time has proven this true. Be smart. Be good to your feet.
_____

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At August 1, 2009 at 1:07:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Cathy said...

Yes I need them! It will be 2 years since my surgery for bunion and 4 hammertoes! My second toe has a non union and is crooked now. So I hope this helps.
I agree with you about doing your homework before having foot surgery. No way will I have the right foot done!
Thanks for the info!
Cathy

 
At September 13, 2009 at 12:57:00 PM PDT, Blogger BunionSurvivor said...

Cathy, wow, 4 hammertoes! I'm so glad I ordered the toe straighteners. They really work -- when you wear them. I wear them at night and in whatever shoe will accommodate them (no flip flops :-( ) I recommend the two toe holder rather than one as it positions the great toe and the 2nd and 3rd toe equally without any rubbing. My feet are happy! Hope yours are too.

 
At September 23, 2009 at 7:34:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Katie Ingraham said...

are your toes going back to the same position they were pre-surgery? Make sure your shoes have a wide enough toe box and are the right length.. bunions may come back if we put them in similar stresses (like a woman's favorite- the pointed stiletto!) Let me know how the toe straighteners work. Here's a fun and helpful article on the causes of bunions... some great info for us ladies out there who just can't give up our high heels ;)

http://footsolutionsblog.com/2009/09/09/what-causes-bunions/

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home